Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Hop Stopper (Kettle Screen & Pickup)

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY Hop Stopper (Kettle Screen & Pickup)

So most of you have heard of the HopStopper, a Screen "pouch" for the bottom of your boil kettle to filter hops and what not out after your boil. While i am sure that the HopStopper is a wonderful product, it is also wonderfully expensive.

Here is my DIY Hop Stopper, total cost on this build was approximately $12-13. The parts required are as follows:

1 - Stainless wire mesh 12in x 24in. McMaster Carr Part Number: 9230T625 (Cost = $8.50 Shipped)
    1 - 1/2in Male NPT x 1/2in Compression, Pipe Fitting, Bought at Local Hardware store for $2.79
    1 - Stainless Worm Clamp (hose clamp), Have a ton of these sitting around so no cost added here.
    1 - ~8 inch piece of 1/2in outer diameter copper tube. Bought large piece, approximating the cost at $1.50
    As needed Stainless wire, 24AWG worked for me, Got this for free so no cost added.

On to the "how to" portion of this thread!

First started with the 12in x 24in piece of stainless mesh. I went with the 30x30 mesh size (30 squares (holes) per inch), I was going to go with an 18x18, I am so glad that i didn't. Not having much experience with Mesh sizes I kinda just guessed at which one to order, I could have gone a little finer, Say 36x36. But this will work just fine.

Next I folded it in half so that i had a 12in x 12in square of SS mesh,

Then i folded the edges over approximately 1/4 of an inch and tapped them flat with a hammer, I then folded them again about 1/8th of an inch to completely hide the rough edges and reduce the amount of tiny little wires poking me in the hand as I handled this thing.

I got some 24 AWG (.020 diameter) Stainless wire and laced up the edges (well...one anyway, before i realized that it sucks stitching with SS wire). I will go back at another time and finish stitching the rest. It is more than likely overkill, but i like to build equipment to last and i figured that it would add to the durability of the unit.

With all the pieces ready to go:

Assembled the Dip tube and put the worm clamp on there, I had already bent my dip tube before i took these pictures, but you can bend your to what ever suits your needs. Mine makes a gradual curve down to the center of the kettle.

I then installed the dip tube in the wire mesh, and formed the mesh around the copper as best i could to get it to close up the major holes when i tightened the clamp down. I also folded the corners of the pouch down to allow it to fit better in the bottom of my kettle.

And finally installed in the kettle! "Like a Glove!"

What these are all about is Surface area, The more you can get yourself the better. The only thing i see is that i may drill a hole or two laterally across the end of the dip tube if i feel that the screen is pressing against the tube opening, but that is one of the reasons i took it down at an angle instead of taking it down at a 90deg angle and straight down.

I haven used this yet, at the time of this post, but i will be using it by the end of the week so I will post up the results when I do.

Imaginos Lifetime Supporter BeerBilly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it Wop.We're having a fuck of a time with the homemade hop bag type thing because a half pound of flower hops takes up LOTS of room.it would be easier just to pour them in like we did with pellets.
    Prince of Ales Nanobrewery and Garage Pub Est.2006

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished building one based on your design. Only difference is that I used a 1/2 x 3/4 x 3/4 tee. How does your design do with pellet hops?
    So what would MODOK do if his memory got too full?
    He'd find a powersource and then he'd pick what plugs to pull.

Post Thanks / Like

I built one of these at WOP's house actually. Pretty simple design and it seems like it will be effective. Can't wait to brew a batch and actually try it out. =D

Post Thanks / Like

I need to upgrade mine, I'll be doing this same one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
    They can all bite into a nice puss-filled bag of AIDS-infected, sun-dried bag of gay 1980's dicks.

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely should man, for the cost and ease of making, it is well worth it, and i haven't even used it yet.

But the sell the HopStopper for $60, and like i said I am sure that it is a quality product, but making it for under $15 is the way to go for me.

Jekster you should take a picture of your's and post it up here. You made yours a little different if I remember right. I would like to get a picture of House's too to put up here. He made a crazy shaped one. I will try to get him to post up a picture or e-mail me one.

Post Thanks / Like

I can post it later today after I get home from work.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a friend of ours that made a hopstopper the other day with us. He went with a sort of "tent" design. The surface area is pretty big on it and it has a really good size pocket in it to collect wort from. I was glad that he came back over tonight to finish up the final touches on it so i could post up some pictures of it. To be able to show that there are many ways to adapt this to what ever design you come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the first run with the hopstopper tonight. And all i really have to say is that this thing is really F*ing Awesome. First it reduced the dead space in my kettle from 1/2-3/4 of a gallon to less than a pint.

It did an awesome job filtering, I have never seen wort flow so clear out of my kettle an chiller. My old set-up (a bazooka Tube) would start to get clogged up about half way through draining my kettle. With this DIY Hopstopper the wort flowed smoothly all the way to the last drop. I only had two ounces of hops, one pellet and one whole leaf, in this batch but i could tell that this thing will be able to handle what ever i throw at it.

Here is picture of the inside of the kettle after we were done running the wort through the pump/chiller.

You can see that it filtered all the hops and hot break material that was in the wort.

I HIGHLY recomend that anyone who is making new filter for their kettle make one of these.

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome dude. I'll probably go build one tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
    They can all bite into a nice puss-filled bag of AIDS-infected, sun-dried bag of gay 1980's dicks.