Thread: homemade jerky

Blue Spruce HomeBrewing brewmandan's Avatar

Default homemade jerky

just wondering--who all here makes their own jerky? doesn't matter if it's beef jerky, venison, or other wild game, jerky goes well as a snack with beer.
    i've got some in the dehydrator now. i used the bourbon bbq deal from hi-mountian for the flavoring.
    "Red solo cup, i fill you up, let's have a party...."---Toby Keith
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Mortati"---Red Green
    "My eyebrows ain't plucked, there's a gun in my truck. Oh thank God I'm still a guy.."---Brad Paisley

I'm dang-ol brewing, man! Boomhauer's Avatar

I've been making my own for about 15 years now. I use my own marinade that I think I perfected about 4 years ago.

I don't make it very often because when I do I usually use 3 lbs of meat and it only lasts about 2 days around here.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Please give us some tips.

Alton brown has a great way to make jerky. Now flavors are subjective. But his drying method is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
    But his drying method is awesome

WORD
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    "I got a bronze out of 3 people in my category! I'm so fucking awesome!"

I make a bunch of Canada goose jerkey. I use a brine marinade that I soak the strips in for 3 or so days. I don't have an exact recipe, I suppose I should take measurements and write it down someday. I use about half cup soy sauce, eighth cup brown sugar, couple table spoons garlic powder, season salt, onion powder. A teaspoon or so of cumin, cayenne and black pepper.

I Leger to use a smoker, but I don't have one so unless I take it to my dads ill just add a teaspoon or so of liquid smoke and dehydrate it in the over. To do so, ill run one end of the meat strip through a ka-bob skewer, ill put about 10 strips per skewer leaving a little space between them. Then ill set the skewer on the over rack so that the strips hang down. A lining of foil at the bottoms will keep it clean. Then I turn the oven on as low as it will go and dehydrate the jerky for about 6 hours.

Sent using TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Agnus Dei View Post
    I've been making my own for about 15 years now. I use my own marinade that I think I perfected about 4 years ago.

I don't make it very often because when I do I usually use 3 lbs of meat and it only lasts about 2 days around here.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    And what might this marinade be?