Thread: Gas dryer that can vent to the right?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter BlindLemonLars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas dryer that can vent to the right?

Like the title says, does anybody know of a make/model of gas dryer that has an option for right-side venting? Seems like all of them have the burner at the bottom right, which means there is no vent option for the right.

Back story: my girlfriend bought a condo, which she intends to rent out. The laundry closet is rigged for gas and has a vent on the right hand wall. Unfortunately, the closet is too shallow to allow room for a rear-venting dryer...which is what she bought.

Anyhow, I planned to return it and get something that can be vented out the right side...but can only find electrics with that capability.
    Last edited by BlindLemonLars; 07-30-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: typo
    FERMENTING: Pig Porkin' Pinot, Cobb Nut Apfelwein
    KEGGED / BOTTLED: Members Only Maibock, Irish Red Ale, Canned Heat Wee Heavy
    ON TAP: Basic British Bitter, Squeeze My Lemon Summer Blonde, Cobb Nut Apfelwein
    ON DECK: Reduced Carb APA, Bigger Wing IPA, Munich Helles

Its all about the process wildwest450's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I've come across that page many times in the past few days and have it bookmarked. Unfortunately, it's a bit dated and I haven't been able to find any of the specific models available for sale. The manufacturer websites are no burning bush either, they are loaded up with vague and contradictory info. I've found models that claim to have the feature, but when you check the installation instructions there is no mention of it...in fact, it's usually a generic PDF that doesn't correlate to any specific model, or even clearly differentiate between electric and gas models. I've even called customer service for a few manufacturers, and had chats with some friendly but clueless Indian gentlemen.

It appears a few Whirlpool Duet models have four-way venting. I'd feel better about ordering one though if I had some proper documentation confirming it.
    ON TAP: Basic British Bitter, Squeeze My Lemon Summer Blonde, Cobb Nut Apfelwein

Post Thanks / Like

since you already own the dryer, maybe one of these "dryer vent periscopes" might work for you.
    it's basically a rectangular duct that only takes up 3 or 4 inch behind the dryer. you orient it left, right or vertical, which ever works best for you to meet up with your conventional dryer duct and out through the wall.
    I'm sure its available locally but just so you get the visual of what I'm talking about.....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D1HCRO/...O&linkCode=asn
    Last edited by brewskerdoo; 07-18-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the suggestion. Sadly, there is only about 1.5" of clearance behind the dryer, if we want to shut the doors. (We do!) There is barely enough room to hook up the water lines to the washer, and I think I'm gonna have to get creative to get the gas line hooked up...it's that tight.

I did confirm that the Whirlpool Duet models have a right-vent option, so I'm guessing that's what we're stuck with. It's a drag though, to buy a $700 dyer for a rental unit.
    Last edited by BlindLemonLars; 07-30-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. I once owned a condo that I rented out for 5 years. I know how it feels to spend my cash for new appliances and carpeting that I'll never get to enjoy.
    But I did eventually figure out that I was better off spending the money on whatever I need to just to get that thing occupied as soon as possible and generating cash flow.

Post Thanks / Like

can you go through the wall? What is on the other side? also if you cut out the drywall in your side maybe you can gain some space. Think that may work somehow??
    I cannot be offended by you, because first, I would have to respect your opinion....

Internets is new homes zoebisch01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of Zoolander.
    12:30 PM [BlindLemonLars]I don't wake up for anything below 5.5.

Internets is new homes zoebisch01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any way of a sheet metal place fabricating you something (a rectangular vent with an adapter)? It will probably cost a bit.
    12:30 PM [BlindLemonLars]I don't wake up for anything below 5.5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by No Fish View Post
    can you go through the wall? What is on the other side? also if you cut out the drywall in your side maybe you can gain some space. Think that may work somehow??
    There is a bathroom behind the laundry closet...I actually thought about cutting a 4" notch in the drywall to run the ductwork, but started thinking about the potential fire hazard of hiding scorching hot ducts in the wall. But maybe when combined with one of those periscope fittings (which would allow some airspace between wall and duct) it's a viable option.

At this point though, anything other than quickly installing an appropriate dryer is probably false economy...I want to get a rent-paying tenant in there, pronto.