PDA

View Full Version : Deep freeze vs stand up fridge kegorator

shrekfx
11-30-2009, 02:22 AM
I was in Home Depot and was talking to a fellow home brewer about the deep freezes they have there and he told me to go somewhere else and get a stand up cuz he's heard nothing but problems of people having stuff crap out on them when they put a fridge thermostat in there or something or other. comments on that?

rdwj
11-30-2009, 02:43 AM
I know a bunch of people that have had them for a long time with no problems. I moved from a stand-up to a freezer. I like the freezer much better, but I think it depends on how many taps you want. If you're only going to do 2, a small stand-up is going to be a better choice because it's easier to load and has a smaller footprint. If you want something with any kind of capacity, there really is no other choice but freezer.

Big_John
11-30-2009, 02:53 AM
It's bullshit. Freezers and fridges when used as fermenters or kegerators are typically operating below their design loads. IOW, the compressors aren't usually running as much as when used for their intended purpose. The exception might be when a fridge is used for a lagering chamber, but even then it's not normally an issue. I suppose the guy was suggesting that a vertical freezer would be a better choice. I don't think so as every time you open the door, the cold air inside rushes out and the thing must work harder to get the temps back down. This is much less an issue with a chest freezer that has a lid on top. The bigger issue with some vertical freezers is that they often have the refrigerant coils built into the shelves. This makes it difficult to utilize all of the space. You can sometimes get away with bending one or more of the shelves up out of the way, but even then the floor space is limited. I have three freezers and four fridges. One of the freezers is an upright with the coils in the shelves. I use the upright for storing hops and frozen foods mostly. IMO, controlling a fridge or freezer with an external thermostat will not shorten the life of the refrigeration compressors. Most failures occur due to old age. Many of the units acquired for home breiwng use are older models with high mileage. Those are usually much less efficient than the newer ones. Sometimes they are as much as 40-50% less efficient. Up front low acquistion cost is sometimes not the best way to go when you take that into consideration. Much depends on what kind of ambient temps you are dealing with. I have a couple of fridges I use as fermentation chambers in my unheated attached garage. They don't run much at all in the cool season, but it's the opposite in the summertime.

Common
11-30-2009, 02:54 AM
I chose a stand up fridge with a freezer on top for the space and because I wanted an extra freezer. I can fit 6 cornies in my fridge if I have the co2 tank on the outside.

Chimone
11-30-2009, 02:59 AM
A chest freezer gets DISGUSTING after about 6 months. But it holds the cold in really well. However if you are fermenting in a chest freezer you run the risk of fucking up your back lifting your carboys in and out.

Big_John
11-30-2009, 03:03 AM
I chose a stand up fridge with a freezer on top for the space and because I wanted an extra freezer. I can fit 6 cornies in my fridge if I have the co2 tank on the outside.

Six cornies! That's big ass fridge. I can only get four in one of my bigger ones.

Shrek,
If the guy was talking about a stand up fridge vs a freezer it's still the same situation. I have three of these and no problems with them at all. Depending on the design, the freezer compartment won't be usable for storing anything frozen as it will not stay cold enough. This is not always the case, but often it is.

Big_John
11-30-2009, 03:08 AM
A chest freezer gets DISGUSTING after about 6 months. But it holds the cold in really well. However if you are fermenting in a chest freezer you run the risk of fucking up your back lifting your carboys in and out.

I have not had any problems keeping my chest freezers clean with only minimal effort and not very often. I do agree that hefting 6.5 gal carboys can put a strain on one's back. Cornies too for that matter. I'm fortunate to be free of back problems, but Shrek is not IIRC. That would change the equation for sure.

shrekfx
11-30-2009, 05:17 AM
That is a good point on lifting out of the chest freezers.. I know i'll be sticking with this fridge till it dies. It was a pain to get downstairs (even though I wasnt aloud to help move it) But still.. I'll want to get a chest freezer down the road for the kegorator and might turn the upright into a lager fridge. but we will see after i get back to work and get cash flowing again.

But +1 on all responses.. I'm guessing this guy dont know what he's talking about then.

JXLT
12-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I started out with an upright fridge. It was an older fridge and my power bill sky-rocketed when I started using it. I recently switched to a chest freezer. It has a LOT more room for future expansion and I have the thermostat set at 40 degrees with a 2 degree difference. Unless I open the freezer for an extended period of time (10 minutes or more)it's almost never running. The fridge was almost constantly running. I've seen no change in my power bill since going to a freezer like I did with the fridge either. However, the back issues might make your requirements different than mine. Just my .02

Chimone
12-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I have not had any problems keeping my chest freezers clean with only minimal effort and not very often. I do agree that hefting 6.5 gal carboys can put a strain on one's back. Cornies too for that matter. I'm fortunate to be free of back problems, but Shrek is not IIRC. That would change the equation for sure.

Well Im stuck using a picnic tap inside the freezer at the moment. Thats where most of the shit comes from. Especially after a party night, doesnt matter if I have a bucket underneath the tap or not, it gets gross.

Ive asked for a tower for christmas so we'll see

MrMarbleHead
12-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Shrek you just need one of these:

http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=123

http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1671

The upright freezer has the benefits of a freezer but the back saving benefits of a Refer. With the temp controller on there, it only will run for a couple minutes after the door is opened. It doesn't work all that hard to maintain 45deg.

JXLT
12-13-2009, 01:06 AM
You Can give Shrek one and send me the other one if you want

MrMarbleHead
12-13-2009, 01:08 AM
You Can give Shrek one and send me the other one if you want

Tell you what, I am bout to the point that I am going to give that old Philco away if my friend don't come and get it soon.

Sorry but the freezer stays. It is housing my taps now. :D

http://www.homebrewchatter.com/board/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=1706

JXLT
12-13-2009, 01:20 AM
I love the Philco. My grandmother had one and I wish I'd got it when she passed away. I'm not sure what happened to it but I think they're pretty cool.

Ope08
12-13-2009, 02:00 AM
I have three freezers and four fridges.....

Question... why not get a commercial sized fridge or build a cold room at that point? I mean seriously 7 units scattered about?

sonex
12-13-2009, 04:09 AM
The issue with lifting cornies into a chest freezer is real particularly if you have a bad back. I have a brewer freind who uses a electric hoist mounted to the basement floor joist and lifts the cornies into the freezer with that.

JXLT
12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
I am thinking about getting an engine hoist so when I get all 8 taps installed I won't have to worry about hoisting 1/2 barrel kegs over the freezer side walls.

flosrapro
12-22-2009, 07:06 AM
owever, I know a lot of people who brew in basements with propane and still live. The key is overly adequate ventilation.

A CO detector is also necessary.

MrMarbleHead
12-22-2009, 04:24 PM
owever, I know a lot of people who brew in basements with propane and still live. The key is overly adequate ventilation.

A CO detector is also necessary.

I think you are in the wrong thread Bro. I also happen to think that you are using our forum as a cheap attempt to promote your crappy auto finance website.

Ronthered
12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
I think you are in the wrong thread Bro. I also happen to think that you are using our forum as a cheap attempt to promote your crappy auto finance website.

Real nice bro..... you popping collars now?

Evan!
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Real nice bro..... you popping collars now?

If that were the case, he would have said "real nice, brah!"

Ronthered
12-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Means the same thing.. no?

cheapkites
12-24-2009, 08:50 AM
I am thinking about getting an engine hoist so when I get all 8 taps installed I won't have to worry about hoisting 1/2 barrel kegs over the freezer side walls.

^^ good point. Glad I joined this forum already

MrMarbleHead
12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
^^ good point. Glad I joined this forum already

While Kites are cool and all, and cheap ones even better. I don't appreciate your Ruse here.