PDA

View Full Version : My Blonde Ale

karmabrew
01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I think I am ready to bottle my Blonde Ale. When I took the OG reading it was 1.052. I just took the FG reading and it finished a little high at 1.018. According the style the FG should be in the 1.008-1.013 range. Is this going to be a huge problem?? I used the Wyeast American Ale 1056 and it fermented at about 66 degrees. Oh and I'll post the recipe below if anyone cares.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: John's Blonde Ale
Brewer: CCHBS
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 23.53 %
6 lbs Briess Gold LME (2.0 SRM) Extract 70.59 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fireballmatt
01-25-2009, 04:40 PM
How long was it in the primary/secondary?

karmabrew
01-25-2009, 04:43 PM
How long was it in the primary/secondary?

It was in the primary a solid week.

Evan!
01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't bottle it so soon. Yes, the FG seems high for that proportion of fermentables and that OG (and that style). You might end up with overcarbonated bottles this way. Best case, you end up with a sweeter blonde, not the greatest thing in the world. You can try raising the temp of the wort and stirring it with a sanitized spoon (gently, don't splash).

Either way, let it sit in primary for another couple weeks before you bottle.

BlindLemonLars
01-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Either way, let it sit in primary for another couple weeks before you bottle.

+1. There is no need to rush, and you'll be amazed how much clearer it will get after a few more weeks in the primary. And nobody likes a hazy blonde. (A dizzy blonde maybe, but not hazy.)

ArizonaDB
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I just bottled my Blond Ale last Thursday. It spent a week in the primary and a week in the secondary and it is super clear. It's OG was 1.040 and FG was 1.008. It's my first batch, and everything seems to be going well so far. I want to give it 3 weeks in the bottle at 60 degrees to let it condition.

I'm doing a nut brown next and I think I will skip the secondary and let it sit in the primary 2-3 weeks to let the yeast/trub settle out. I just don't know that the transfer to the secondary and potential oxidation of the brew is worth the clarity I get, when I can just leave it longer in the primary and just be careful when I rack it to the bottling bucket.

Dale
01-27-2009, 12:25 AM
I just bottled my Blond Ale last Thursday. It spent a week in the primary and a week in the secondary and it is super clear. It's OG was 1.040 and FG was 1.008. It's my first batch, and everything seems to be going well so far. I want to give it 3 weeks in the bottle at 60 degrees to let it condition.

I'm doing a nut brown next and I think I will skip the secondary and let it sit in the primary 2-3 weeks to let the yeast/trub settle out. I just don't know that the transfer to the secondary and potential oxidation of the brew is worth the clarity I get, when I can just leave it longer in the primary and just be careful when I rack it to the bottling bucket.

I used to secondary all of my beers for clarity's sake, but don't bother anymore. Three weeks in the primary is just as good. At this point I only go to secondary for extended aging.

Bmelanco
01-30-2009, 12:02 AM
I agree that you should give it at least another week. Also, wait at least two weeks afteryou bottle. It takes time first for the yeast to carbonate and then a little time clean up the byproduct of the carbonation. Three weeks is a best minimum.

karmabrew
01-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I did bottle it last weekend, and I'll have to see what happens. I'm sure it will be good. I've still got a good feeling about the brew. And hey, you don't learn anything unless you try and try.

My next brew, I am planning on doing a chocolate porter and I am definitely going to be a lot more patient!

karmabrew
02-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Ok everyone, I popped open my first bottle of my blonde ale and gave it a taste. I was happy with the carbonation, it didn't seem to be over carbonated to me. The color seemed to be a little darker than it should be for the style, maybe next time I should go super light with the extract. The beer had a nice subtle malty taste with a nice crisp finish. I definitely will say I am impressed with my efforts! :alc: Looking at my recipe at the beginning of this thread, does anyone have any suggestions for any tweaks?

ben the brewman
02-08-2009, 01:05 AM
extra light malt and adding it at the last of the boil will help lighten up the color.

DrunkenSatyr
02-08-2009, 08:41 AM
If you want to really lighten it up, use the 2 lb of DME at 60 then use roughly 5 lbs of DME at 15 left. (4.8 lbs is the true number but I would just round it and adjust your OG)